23 April 2012

Son of Rambow (2007)



          Essential plot rundown:  A young boy befriends a bully and together make a movie inspired by First Blood.  Ok, just so you know, I was watching this with my best friend, so we spent a lot of time talking and not watching the movie.  This may have caused me to miss something and altered my opinion of the movie.  Or maybe not, who knows.

          So, this movie had two major appeals to me.  1)  It's about kids trying to make a movie.  And I love watching movies about movies.  2)  The main kid comes from a super conservative religious background.  And I myself, also come from a conservative religious background.  So, I was expecting a really good movie.  But, I didn't really like it.

          I was expecting something more to come from the religious aspect of his life.  I was thinking it was going to play a major role in the film.  I guess I wanted to see Detroit Rock City and have him come to terms with his mother or something.  But that doesn't happen.  I don't know, maybe I missed something.  It just didn't feel developed enough.

          And that leads me to my next point.  Will, the main boy, comes from a super conservative family where he is forbidden to watch TV and movies.  But, then he sees part of First Blood and helps his friend make a movie.  However, the transition from one lifestyle to the next seemed to easy.  He never really had problems going against how he had been raised.  There is no internal struggle of him deciding between the two.  He was like "Ok" and moved on.  I didn't buy the transition; it didn't seem real.

          Also, there is some kind of subplot with some French foreign exchange students.  And that I didn't understand at all.  Maybe it would make more sense to a British audience (where the film takes place) but I didn't see the purpose behind it.

          So, overall, I didn't like it.  I found the idea interesting and wanted to like it more than I did.  Maybe I was just expecting something totally different than what the movie was aiming for or I wasn't paying enough attention, but it wasn't my thing.


     But that's just my opinion...



No comments:

Post a Comment